Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Field Trip to The Washington Post

I wasn't going to make this trip.

When my alarm went off at 9 a.m., I almost stayed in bed. I had been at work until midnight the night before, and was scheduled to be back at 5 p.m. I kept thinking about what Professor Lieb had told me: this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I got out of bed.

Professor Lieb's comments made me re-think what I thought was important and relevant in my life, and I told Bertucci's I'd be in an hour late. I was well over two hours late. It was worth it; I could have been fired, and it still would have been worth it.

I love Towson University. My teachers have been incredible in showing me what skills I'll need in the real world. But nothing could have prepared me for Rob Curley... nothing.

A week later, my head is still reeling over what he showed us, what he taught us. This wasn't a field trip to the Washington Post, it was a few hours into Curley's mind. It would prove to be too short of an experience, as Curley wasn't even able to finish his PowerPoint presentation.

We learned a lot from this man. I've looked at some of the other students' blogs on this trip, and unfortunately mine won't compare to some of them. I didn't bring a camera, and have been so busy with work, classes and my internship that it took me a week to reflect on this experience.

Do not let this fact fool you. I am deeply indebted to all of Towson for this opportunity. I spoke with Professor Lieb on the bus trip home, and have started an Orioles blog since the trip. I know now that just doing schoolwork isn't going to cut it when it comes to finding a job after graduation.

This was one of the most interesting and eye-opening trips I've ever experienced. I'd like to express my thanks to everyone involved.

No comments: